Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Thoughts

I have been really busy lately, and it’s a shame because the one thing I sacrifice when I get busy is my time alone with God. The one thing that is most vital, I drop as soon as I get busy. Even as I am writing this I can feel the Holy Spirit convicting me that I should say I also sacrifice my time serving God, but since I really haven’t been doing that lately I’m not sure that counts.

The other day I was listening to a sermon, probably by Matt Chandler, and in it, he talked about how important prayer is. He went on to say that when we pray we ask for things and usually pray for others and such, and then he posed a very dangerous question, why don’t we be an answer to our own prayers? For instance, Jim lost his job so his wife has to work late during the week, so I pray that God will help comfort Jim’s family and that he can find a job. So being the good American Christian, I feel that I have done my part, look at me, I am awesome because I spent twenty seconds thinking about someone else. But what if, I answered my own prayer? What if I let God use me to comfort Jim’s family? So maybe now, I make dinner for the family every Tuesday night and I go over to their home, encourage them and let them know that I am not only praying for them but I am serving God by serving them. Then, they are encouraged because the can begin to see how God is beginning to care for them even in this difficult time, so surely the God who moved me to serve them will also provide for Jim’s family. I’m not say that Jim’s family should just wait for a job to drop out of the sky, but that they would begin to see, that God has always been their provider not Jim’s job.

I know this was kind of brief, but I hope you can begin to see the point I am trying to get across. So often we treat God as our heavenly waiter, just waiting around for him to bring us cool stuff, and that is not at all who God is. We are the body, we need to move, I need to move.
I think for the past couple of months, I have written very few posts because I have been quite convicted about the nature of and purpose of my blogging. So I want to take a second to, at least for my sake, state my intentions for this. In list form for those who enjoy it…


1. As an act of worship, I cannot begin to tell you how much I learn just by writing and listening and reading for this. I don’t think I have some special gift or that I am so super holy person nor am I necessarily always right about things I post. But I write because for me, this is an act of worship and I hope that God through my erratic grouping of thoughts that become posts encourages others as well.

2. To get others to think.

3. This isn’t really a reason, but just a warning to me, lest I get too puffed up. Simply writing about God doesn’t mean I am serving him, I will be the first to call myself a hypocrite when I write about things and then never do them myself. But I hope it is a start, a beginning of a transformation in me to serve God and spread the gospel.

One last thing, there is a back story to this but I won’t share it at this time. But I am amazed how arrogant the left is when they claim to be all the things they are not. I was called a Nazis, because of what I believe, someone, claiming to be opened minded person called me a Nazis then proceeded to make a joke about the aggie bonfire collapse. That’s all, just wanted to share that, and btw no, I did not say anything to provoke those comments nor did I respond in a like manner. It just sucks, I needed to share that because it made me feel better. So thanks for reading.

No comments: