Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I win cause He wins

So today i found myself in sin, again. It's so lame, and i hate it. After thinking about it for a bit i got mad at Satan, and how he continues to feed me lies and try to move me away from God. So i kind of get this image of me versus Satan, and I'm like how can i win, how can i keep him from trying to kill my soul. Then David came to mind, and this verse in 1 Sam 17:34-37

"But David said to Saul, 'Your servant has been keeping his father's sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, i went after it struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by the hair, struck it and killed it. Your servant has killed both lion and bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."


The reason that came into my head is my favorite way to understand who Jesus is, is to look at him as the good shepherd. I asked myself awhile ago, why a shepherd? Why not compare him to a warrior or a king, but a guy who looks after sheep, that's kinda weird. I knew that Jesus, like a shepherd looks after us and that we belong to him and all that, but recently i saw why a shepherd is the perfect analogy. David was the man in the OT. David was also a shepherd and a king and probably the best king. Jews would have known who David was very well. So the writers of the NT used this to help draw a picture of who Jesus is/was.

Sooooo for me i parallel Jesus and David. Think about that verse in 1 Sam 17. David the protector of his sheep, sees something trying to steal and kill one of his sheep, so David, being a good shepherd, sets out to destroy that which is trying to destroy one of his own. Now see 1 John 3:8 "....The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work." Jesus, like David, sees us, and like a good shepherd is working to destroy the one who is trying to destroy us. So today, in that moment of sin, i knew i wasn't alone but that God is protecting me and he loves me, because anything short of that, would be an affront to the very nature of who He is.

How i see the verse.....these are just a few references, there are many more, i just know these and can put them in quickly...

"But David said to Saul, 'Your servant(Jesus Mat 20:28) has been keeping his father's sheep(Eze 18:4). When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, i went after it struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth(1 John 3:8). When it turned on me, I seized it by the hair, struck it and killed it(Gen 3:14-15). Your servant has killed both lion and bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God(John 8:44). The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."

No comments: